Open Call for participants
A project designed to stimulate dialogue about dance and performance whilst striving to improve and promote written criticism online
Springback Academy at Spring Forward, Sofia (Bulgaria) Friday 23 - Sunday 25 March 2018
After Umeå, Barcelona, Pilsen and Aarhus, Springback Academy will once again offer aspiring dance writers the chance to be mentored in the fundamentals of quality dance criticism in the action-packed environment of Spring Forward. Aerowaves annual festival will take place this year in Sofia from Friday 23 to Sunday 25 March.
Under the guidance of four experienced dance writers, participants have the chance to create, shape and share conversations about dance and hone their critical writing skills for a number of different formats. It's a fast-track way to gain experience and technique in responsible, effective, attractive dance criticism as well as to explore and understand the opportunities that digital
publishing has to offer.
If selected for the project, Aerowaves will provide mentorship, accommodation, hospitality and a pass to the festival.
Participants will be required to organise and fund their own return travel to Sofia.
What Springback Academy 2018 will entail:
We are looking for up to 10 opinionated people with an interest in, or some prior experience of writing about dance. The participants will be mentored in critical writing by our lead critics including Donald Hutera (The Times, London), Sanjoy Roy (The Guardian, London) and Oonagh Duckworth (Brussels based editor and dance producer).
During the Spring Forward festival each participant will:
• Attend an introductory lecture about dance writing given by Sanjoy Roy followed by an extended Q & A session.
• Have the opportunity to meet informally with the 200 strong Spring Forward audience made up almost exclusively of dance professionals including Springback candidates from previous years.
• Write short reviews in English (140 words) of several of the performances they see over the weekend. They will work to tight deadlines so that their reviews can be published each day on the Springback website
• Generate ultra-short reviews, provocations, opinions and questions to share on Twitter - using #Springback to gather the conversations
• Participate in a round-table and or panel discussions
• Contribute one longer, opinion-style piece for the Aerowaves website in the week after the festival — to allow for greater reflection or to draw themes and bigger ideas together
• Celebrate the launch of Springback Magazine, the edited online publication fuelled exclusively by Springback Academy graduates
How to apply:
• Send us a summary of your experience in critical review writing (140 words or less)
• Send us a sample review (in English) of a dance performance you have seen (140 words or less). This can be an existing review or one you've written especially for this application
• Tell us in 140 words or less why you want to participate in Springback Academy 2018
• Tell us in 140 words or less about your local dance scene
• Tell us your potential arrival and departure date and time. If selected for the project, you would ideally need to arrive on the evening (if possible by 19:00) of Thursday 22 March and depart on Monday 26 March 2018
• Send all of this in an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org before 24:00 (GMT) on Friday 2 February
• Participants will be notified by email by Saturday 17 February whether they have been selected for the project
N.B. If you applied to participate in the Springback Academy in previous years and your submission was not accepted, we do encourage you to apply again
Full website post: http://www.aerowaves.org
2017衛武營創意製作人專業學院，特別邀請歐洲十大藝術節之一的Tanz im August柏林國際舞蹈節藝術總監 Virve Sutinen，分享如何讓藝術場域成為眾人嚮往之地，並進一步傳授策展中的多元思維，和如何透過藝術節帶給社會正面影響力。以下為觀察員吳紹芬的活動紀錄。